Thursday, March 12, 2015

THE NATURALS: Jennifer Barnes


Rating? I'd say somewhere around 7.5 out of 10.

This doesn't mean I do not like the book, this simy means I'm not as fond of this genre as I am with others. It was rather a good plot overall. The book is about a girl named Cassie who lives with her grandma, due to her father being in the Military and her mother being brutally murdered at age 5. Her mother was a con-artist; a fortune teller.

Now she's 17 years of age and working at a diner so that she may help her beloved nana. Anyways, she's always had a little talent for being able to profile people. And one day, the bad boy type of guy comes rolling in to her restaurant and   She comes up and takes his order. He orders eggs, she asks what kind, he said for her to tell him, bada bing bada boom she's enrolled to an FBI group for young adults with natural talents. It's name? The Naturals. 

 Now I know I'm being extremely blunt, but really that's what happens! Though I must applaud the author. I actually really enjoyed reading the book! It wasn't until I finished the book that I just sort of looked at it and questioned myself and why I enjoyed it so much. It really confused me. I mean it wasn't until I went back and analyzed it did I realize that: 

1) not much actually happened

2) the plot line was actually sort of funny (which is not the point of a mystery-murder book) 

3) it's very cliché when you boil it down to its main concepts.

Which is really funny, because I honestly couldn't put it down when I was reading it. Other than those three things, the book was extremely enjoyable and one of my favorite characters was a girl who was a natural at statistics. About the closest she could get to comfort was telling statistics on the subject, and her mind went even more rapid if she drank coffee (though I can't recall her name) 

Things I like about the book: 

1) at the end of (I believe) every other chapter, you are submerged in the mind of the killer who had an obsession for Cassie's mother and now for her.

2) that the author somehow makes you addicted to the story even though it's cliche after cliche. (I was giggling happily a couple times...)

So if you are to read this book, don't try to analyze it, just enjoy it! It's a good book if you leave it to that.

-Spolier Alert 


No comments:

Post a Comment